Greenwood was arrested at his home in January last year over a series of allegations against the Bradford-born striker.
He was later suspended by Manchester United, who confirmed he would “not return to training or play matches until further notice”.
After being released on bail, the 21-year-old was later charged with attempted rape, control and coercion, and assault causing actual bodily harm.
Greenwood was due to appear in court later this year, but in February Greater Manchester Police (GMP) announced that all charges against him had been dropped.
He released a statement after the news, saying: “I am relieved that this case is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support. There will be no further comments at this time.”
Manchester United soon released a statement saying they would conduct an internal inquiry to “define next steps” after the allegations were dropped.
Three months after the news, Greenwood’s future remains uncertain as United question whether he should continue his career at Old Trafford.
In an interview with Henry Winter z Times This week United boss Erik ten Hag commented on Greenwood’s future for the first time since February.
Ten Hag says the striker, who scored 36 goals in 130 appearances for the Premier League club, has “shown in the past that he is capable of this” starring role.
The Dutch coach also emphasized that it was not his decision to return.
Before answering a question about Greenwood, Ten Hag said he needed another player in his squad who could ease the burden of Marcus Rashford’s goalscoring.
He said: “What we need in addition to Marcus Rashford is one extra player with scoring skills, whether he’s from our own squad or we need to sign him.”
…but insists it’s “not my decision if she comes back.” pic.twitter.com/BkIXSVmMla
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) May 29, 2023
In February, when he was last asked about the situation in Greenwood, Ten Hag said: “No. Nothing. I can not add anything, I refer to the statement of the club.
“As I said, I cannot comment on the trial at this time. I can’t say anything about that, I refer to the club’s statement and I can’t add anything at the moment.”
The Guardian says United staff are divided over whether he should be welcomed back, despite charges against him being dropped.