Alexis Rocha will face fellow welterweight contender Anthony Young on Saturday in Indio, California.
ALEXIS ROCH (22-1, 14 BLACKBIRD)
vs. ANTONI YOUNG (24-2, 8 BLACKBIRD)
- When: Saturday, May 27
- Time: 8pm ET / 5pm PT (main event later in the schedule)
- Where: Fantasy Springs, India, California
- Department: welterweight (147 lb limit)
- Rate: No major titles
- Pound for pound rating: Nothing
- Chances: THIS
- Also on the card: Melvin Jerusalem vs. Oscar Collazo, strawweight (for Jerusalem’s WBO title); Oscar Duarte vs. D’Angelo Keyes, Lightweight; John Ramirez vs. Fernando Diaz, junior bantamweight
- Forecast: Rocha UD
- Background: Rocha has established himself as the rightful contender at 147lbs with seven consecutive wins since he was defeated by Rashidi Ellis in October 2020. The 25-year-old from the Los Angeles area is number one in the WBO rankings, below the only champion and winner, Terence Crawford. Young is a talented technician from Atlantic City, New Jersey. The 35-year-old hasn’t lost a fight since 2016. His biggest win was a third-round knockout of former 154lb champion Sadam Ali in May 2019, Ali’s final fight. Rocha will be his toughest opponent since that fight. Young is ranked 8th in the WBO rankings.